Orphan Ministry

As I've been researching lately and reading books and blog posts, I feel like there is so much about adoption and orphan care that I don't know, yet I already feel that God is turning my heart not only towards adopting a child of our own, but somehow getting involved in orphan care. There are so many practical ways to do this, and God hasn't directed me toward one specific way yet, but the desire and passion is beginning to grow in my heart.

I've recently been reading this book called Orphanology by Tony Merida and Rick Morton.This book emphasizes God's heart towards us and how he has adopted us into His family. It takes this wonderful example from all over the scriptures to show us how we should have the same heart toward others, especially orphans. The book of course talks about adoption and contains adoption stories, but is also a cry to the Church to "take care of the orphans and the widows" through financial support, prayer support, adoption and so much more. This book along with some other adoption agencies and orphan advocate ministries that I've been looking have begun to open my eyes to something more. It seems as though this command from God has been lost in many churches today. Not because all of these churches are doing bad things or neglecting something on purpose. Many of these churches have wonderful ministries that help the poor, the widow, and so many others. In most cases it has become an "out of site out of mind" situation, but I don't think it can stay that way if we want to walk out the gospel as Jesus did. I don't claim to be an activist in this area, but it does seem that in this personal journey of adoption, God is planting something much bigger in my heart. I can't wait to see what unfolds as the journey continues.

Comments

Kathy said…
I love that you are on this journey, Jennie. We'll support you any way we can.
Charity said…
Love this! Can't wait to see where this road takes you guys!

Popular posts from this blog

Any Day Now

Two For One

Thank You